Personal Statement

Research Into a Good Personal Statement 


https://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/student-advice/applying-to-uni/tips-for-writing-your-personal-statement


In the link above it says to create a very good personal statement you need to show your aspirations for the future along with demonstrating my positions I have had in the past along with academic and work experience. 


It also tells me that you must clearly show inspirations for what are you doing along with what kind of work are you are through both your attitude and teamwork and leadership  skills along with showing your motivations and commitment in the subject you are applying for/interested in.


My Personal Statement


From a very young age I have had a passion for media. I have a deep love for film, and have always been interested in how films and shows are presented, directed and how the language of filmmaking works. I began studying media in secondary school and quickly came to the revelation that I had a passion and long term goal of perusing a career in media. 

 

I began to understand and love the conventions of the genres in the medium. I love the conventions of filmmaking; how filmmakers can convey a feeling or emotion from just the way a scene is framed. One of my favourite examples of this is how a Dutch tilt can make the viewer feel uneasy or on edge, like in Brian De Palma's 1996 film Mission Impossible. I like how the framing shows the intensity of the conversation, the camera moving closer to the actor's face allows the audience to feel more emotion from the characters they are portraying.                                                                                                          

 

I am now nearing the end of my level 3 qualification in creative media practice. I hope to continue my professional development and knowledge in this area and look forward to perusing a career in media. I am fascinated by the entirety of film production from pre-production, production and post production. This also extends to advertising and marketing, as even though marketing can seem simple it is complex underneath the surface which is something that is very interesting to me.                                                   

 

On a personal level, I am a hard working, motivated and confident individual. My passion for media stems across all forms. This is important as it means when working in marketing, filmmaking and advertising, I will always be putting 100% effort into my work and I wouldn't want to make anything less than exceptional, as I deeply admire other people's work in this industry.                                                     

 

Throughout my college studies, I have learned many valuable skills. I have demonstrated my abilities in being able to edit videos and films using Adobe Premiere Pro. I also have experience editing images using Adobe Photoshop. I thoroughly enjoyed learning about the use of media language and enjoyed the practical side of framing shots and demonstrating my ability to control a camera.                                                 

 

I also have developed the skill of using different kinds of cameras, and can confidently set up lights and backgrounds for taking professional photos. I also have obtained skills in editing when it comes to colour grading videos.                                                            

                                                                                                                                                            

My passion for media stems further than my college studies. In my spare time I write songs and have created many videos for my YouTube channel. More specifically, I have created and edited short films, trailers, and videos of myself and friends having fun for entertainment purposes. I have also completed media language courses in my spare time. 

                                                                                                                                          

Within my personal life I watch a great deal of media, I love to analyse films and enjoy talking to others about creative uses of equipment in the filmmaking industry.

                                                      

I believe that, if given the opportunity, I would thrive at University. Many people have pointed out how suitable I would be for a media degree, as I have such passion for education and media studies. 


As David Puttham quotes; 'to get anywhere in media you must love the medium'. I know that my skills, passion and motivation for media will carry me throughout my lifetime, and feel as though my education is just the beginning.


Comments